Benefits of Participating
Patients who have experienced a life-changing incident or health condition often face many challenges that others do not; many are physical, but along with that comes psychological, emotional and social challenges. Adapted Sports programs like the one at the University of Maryland Rehabilitation & Orthopaedic Institute aim to ease those challenges, giving individuals with physical disabilities a new outlet to engage in community activities, be social, forge new friendships and have fun.
Some of the key benefits we have seen participants experience are:
- Improved physical strength, range of motion, flexibility and endurance.
- Improved emotional well-being.
- Enhanced quality of life.
- Social interaction with others who have parallel interests.
- Creation of new connections with people who face similar challenges.
- Opportunities to engage in competitive activity.
This page was last updated: March 27, 2015