University of Maryland Rehabilitation & Orthopaedic Institute volunteers come from all backgrounds and age groups. They share a common interest to offer their time and talents in service to others. Volunteers work collaboratively with hospital staff to help maintain our commitment to always provide the highest personalized quality care and service excellence. Our goal is to provide meaningful, rewarding opportunities for individuals to make a difference in the lives of our patients.
Current volunteer opportunities include:
- Offer a warm welcome to patients and visitors and help them find their way to their destination.
- Provide basic information about the Hospital and its services.
- Act as liaison between patients, families and staff in waiting rooms.
- Answer phones and offer basic clerical support.
- Assist customers in the Gift Shop with selections and process purchases, Stock shelves and maintain shop.
Patient Support Services
- Visit patients.
- Greet visitors.
- Answer patient call lights
- Transport patients in wheelchairs.
- Assist with activities.
Therapy Support Services*
- Assist with patient activities.
- Maintain equipment and supplies.
- Transport patients in wheelchairs to and from therapy sessions
- Provide occasional clerical duties.
*Therapy Support Volunteer positions are limited to High School Students at least 16 years of age in good academic standing planning to pursue a career in a health related field and college students pursing a degree in therapy or healthcare related field. The number of these positions is limited.
Volunteers must be at least 16 years of age to volunteer in the hospital. Volunteers under the age of 18 need parental permission. University of Maryland Rehabilitation & Orthopaedic Institute is committed to a patient-focused, result-oriented philosophy of care. Therefore we require the following:
- Submit a completed application, two reference letters and an essay.
- Interview to ensure your available time matches our current hospital needs.
- Complete background check.
- Complete Health Screening (blood draw, substance screening and two tuberculin tests).
- Complete University of Maryland Rehabilitation & Orthopaedic Institute Volunteer Orientation.
- Complete additional trainings as applicable.
Volunteering at our hospital requires a significant commitment from our staff to provide free training, testing, and processing. As a result, we ask each volunteer commit to a minimum of 100 hours of service annually.
Download and complete the application. Contact the Volunteer Services Office to arrange an interview.
Contact Volunteer Services:
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at the University of Maryland Rehabilitation & Orthopaedic Institute
We look forward to meeting you!
This page was last updated: March 27, 2015